Teaching is the facilitation of experiences.
Learning is the forging of new connections.
I am a COGNITIVE SOCIAL SCIENTIST:
Someone who understands how our mental structures relate to our attitudes and actions. I have helped individuals, institutions and organizations optimize their performance through the design and delivery of cutting-edge skill systems that leverage technology to build compassion, connection and community.
I have worked as an educational consultant for over 10 years and across 4 continents, and 1 fact remains the same:
EDUCATION IS THE KEY to cultivating sustainable results.
I build relationships. Not client lists.
The individuals, institutions, and organizations that I have had the pleasure of working with over the years are each seeking to cultivate resilience, innovation, and responsiveness in their own way, each working to promote the development of a systems mindset and the essential skills needed to lead through change.
Some of my collaborators:
5 Things to Know
1. I love a challenge! I am driven to find positive solutions to the BIG problems we face as a global society and truly believe that education is the key. Do you have employees will skills gaps you don't know how to fill or professors resisting cutting-edge instructional techniques? I thrive in the discomfort of major cultural shifts!
2. I studied Developmental Psychology, International Development and Sociology at McGill University, received my Master's in Teaching from the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE/UT), and was awarded my PhD from York University, for examining how to use technology to build community in online learning spaces.
3. My favourite part about being an entrepreneur is the fact that I make my own schedule. I value my time and I will not waste yours.
4. Learning requires attention. I will work to ensure that the experiences we build for your community are as customized and engaging as possible.
5. I believe in humanizing digital education, putting the human at the center of a technology-enhanced experience that has been built in-line with my core values: Systems Thinking, Industry Innovation, and Educational Integrity.
Inverviewed for the article by: Peters, D. (2021)
University Affairs Magazine
Sengara, M., & Gage, W. (2019)
White Paper published through York University
Teaching with Technology: Hybrid Pedagogy in Higher Education
Jenson, J., Dahya, N., & Sengara, M. (2017)
Canadian Journal for Higher Education, Simon Fraser University
Like it: A Facebook E-learning Environment for Higher Education
Morbey, M. L., Sabeti, F. M., & Sengara, M. (2016)
In D. Fonseca & E. Redondo (Eds.), Handbook of research on applied e-learning in engineering and architecture education
Oxford Education Research Symposium, Oxford, U.K.
Session Title: Innovative Instructional Methods and Pedagogy
Paper: Designs That Build Community & Promote Achievement Online
Global Summit for Online Learning, Toronto, Canada
Session Title: Course Design, Development, and Delivery
Paper: Transforming Experiential Learning Online
American Education Research Association, San Antonio, U.S.A.
Session Title: Access and Innovation
Paper: Designing for Equitable Student Outcomes in Blended Spaces